Oh, the power that these 10 letters wield is amazing! Men and women have misunderstood them and abused them so often that we flinch whenever we hear them. Submission has become a term associated with domination. A wife who “submits” to her husband is considered to have a weak, and even pathetic, character. A husband who calls for his wife to submit to him is considered a tyrant looking to suppress and control.
And there was a time, just a few years ago, I would have agreed with this view. I guarantee that I am not alone among Christian women who struggle with this. But, as with any challenging concept, context is EVERYthing!
You can find this podcast on any of these Podcast Apps. Don’t forget to subscribe and leave a review if you loved this episode!
For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.John 6:38 English Standard Version
And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”Mathew 26:39 English Standard Version
And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.Philippians 2:8 English Standard Version
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.Ephesians 5:22, 25 English Standard Version
Big Picture Take Away
Submission is the willingness of behavior that is, not only performed in action but also supported in the heart.
Jesus, Himself, shows us that meekness is NOT weakness. Rather it is a peaceful & steady spirit. It is humility & contentment in our God-given role. He is the perfect example of submission.
And submission to your husband is a command from God that you have to choose to obey regardless of whether or not he is obeying God’s command to love and lead your sacrificially.
You are demonstrating biblical submission in y0ur marriage when…
- you disagree with my husband, yet choose not to fight with him, but instead, acknowledge that he wants what is best for your family and is making his decisions accordingly.
- your husband ends up being wrong and you choose not to say “I told you so,” but instead help him fix the situation and make things right.
- your husband has an idea and you choose not to point out its flaws but instead trust that the Lord is sovereign and in control of the outcome.
- you have something you want to buy somewhere you want to go or something you want to do, and my husband doesn’t support you and you choose not to do it anyway, but instead honor his leadership in our home.
Check out these blog posts for more:
- The Controversy over Submission – What You NEED to Know!
- WARNING: Are you Mistaking Meekness for Weakness?
- 3 Things Submission IS and 3 it is NOT
Also, stay tuned for the BONUS Podcast Episode: What does submission look like in reality?
Connect With Me
Want to hang out with me daily? Follow me on Instagram!
See what God is doing with my mess daily as I share the trials and triumphs of being a mom, wife, and friend who is learning to let go of control and trust God to lead me while getting some laughs along the way!